My Journey To Mindfulness

photo by Diana Nazareth


I did not start out as a mindful mama. In fact I was quite the opposite! I was a multi-tasker; a wannabe supermom with high expectations of balancing a design career with raising a family, pumping milk, and sleepless nights. My focus was split. By the time my daughter turned 10 months my exhaustion set in and I began to rethink my career.

I regularly attended meditation classes when my kids were aged 2 and 5. That 2 hours a week was a blessing, I looked forward to the stillness and the time away from my thoughts and busy-ness of life. But I found that I couldn't bring the practice home. (How could I set aside an hour each day dedicated to stillness when I could barely find the time to take a shower?) I longed for a practice that was compatible with my lifestyle, that did not take away from the time that I had with my kids. I knew if I were to do this it would mean having to integrate meditation into my every day activities and begin meditating with my family.

This is how I found Mindfulness.

Mindfulness meditation is not meant to be a separate experience. In fact it is meant to engage you with life, and bring your mind fully to every sensation. Noticing sight, smell, sound, touch, taste without judgement, and without resistance.

I learned more about my children by being more present. I let go of my expectations around what I needed in order to meditate...extra time, a clean house, and quiet, and I began to truly experience the time I was spending with my children.

Sometimes I would carve out a 3' by 3' foot space in our living room giving myself just enough room to sit cross legged on a cushion. But mostly I used techniques here and there, while I did everyday stuff like washing dishes, feeling the water against my skin, smelling the soap, hearing the bubbles and the clinking of plates.

Before becoming a Doula I spent a lot of time at my daughter's school, finding ways of creatively bringing meditation and emotional awareness into the classroom. Now as a Childbirth Mentor I have the pleasure of sharing these tools with expectant and new parents.



For my first post and in celebration of my own journey, I would like to feature "The Mindful Child" by Susan Kaiser Greenland. This is a beautifully written guide that includes short practices for parents and educators to learn and then share with the kids in their lives.

For more Toronto resources on mindfulness and parenting please visit mindfulconnections.

No comments:

Post a Comment