How Reiki Can Build "Healthy" Trust


We live in a society that relies heavily on external understanding of our bodies.  While there is an important place for professional advice and medical intervention, I also think of the following Chinese parable; a story I often share with my expectant parents:
There once was a man who was looking to buy a new pair of shoes.  He walked a great distance to get to the nearest shoe store only to discover that he had left his measurements at home.  He then decided to make the journey all the way back to his house and return to the store with the measurements in hand.  Many hours later, when the man arrived at the store for the second time, he found it was now closed.  Upon relaying the story to his friend, the friend asked “Why didn’t you just go in the first time and try on the shoes?” The man replied, “I trust the measurements more than I trust myself.”
We know our own bodies best, and this self knowledge can assist us in our partnerships with doctors, nurses and midwives.  When we learn to trust and gain understanding of our own physical, energetic and emotional systems we are more likely to advocate for ourselves.  This is a way for us to be greater players in our healthcare. 
The receiving of a  Reiki session can plant the seed of this new understanding.  It provides a space for healing, and invites a new language about ourselves that goes beyond the physical.  It can provide that "mindful connection."
I would love to hear about your experiences with Reiki!  Contact me, or leave your comments below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment